BasenjiMom

Thursday, August 17, 2006

A Ba-who-ji?

Ever since I got my precious pooch six years ago, people ask me what kind of dog he is...when I reply "Basenji" they look at me as if I have suddenly sprouted a third eye! I can always tell a true "dog person"..as they know what a Basenji is. A Basenji is an African barkless hound. Yes. I said Barkless. They cannot bark. They "yodel". Each Basenji makes their own unique yodeling sound...mine yodels when we are playing, and/or I have something that he wants. Sometimes he does it when company comes over and they are not giving him any attention. Basenji's were bred in Africa for hunting, they are fast runners, and very good in the hot weather. My Basenji loves to sit in the sun..he actually seeks it out...and will crawl across the floor in his attempt to lay in "his sunbeam". Extremely smart, but also stubborn and aloof, it takes a special family to train a Basenji. They are much like a cat in thier grooming habits, give off no "dog" odor and do not drool. Hmmm....no barking, no odor, no drool....now THAT is the perfect dog!

2 Comments:

  • He LOVES his Aunt !!!

    By Blogger Cheryl, at 10:46 AM  

  • Does your B enjoy the beach? Mine likes to chase the waves as they roll back out to sea but does everything possible to avoid getting wet herself.

    I love these dogs. Can't imagine my home without one. We used to have 2 but I had to put my boy down a few years back. He developed a brain tumor and was having uncontrolable seziures. It was heart breaking as he had been diagnosed with Fanconi early on and we had finally had him managed and he was doing great.

    I still have my girl Loki who will be 8 in January.

    Basenjis are the best!

    By Blogger Kel, at 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home