BasenjiMom

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Frugal Tip of the Day, or How I have Wasted too Much Money on Fancy Cleaning Products!

So, you've been reading over the past few days about the new shower I am having put in my master bath. (All THREE of you, my loyal, faithful readers..I do this for YOU!) He is finishing the grout today, then will hang the doors. So, I was talking to the girl at the office, she called to go over what he was going to do today...being the stickler that I am with my money, and a job well done...I asked her was he going to seal the grout? She stated that the grout has sealer in it, and that you are to NEVER clean it with any product containing bleach.....thinking..."well, I use the over the counter bathroom cleaners at Target/WalMart..such as your Tilex...BUZZ! WRONG! They contain BLEACH, which will, over time, eat away at the grout. Of course, they don't tell you any of this on the label, or on the commericals where they are showing you how easy it is to spray those chemicals on your tile and wipe the grime right off..of course, not...because then you wouldn't BUY it! So, how do I protect my 4 figure investment? Your shower is where you wash your body, therefore, should be one of the cleanest places in your home!
VINEGAR & WATER.
That's it. No expensive cleaners, no fancy sprays after each shower, no "clean shower" fixture that automatically sprays every day.....just an EASY, LOW COST, ALL NATURAL - NO CHEMICAL ADDITIVES mixture of white vinegar & water. I verified it with the installer, who also added that for tough mildew spots and rust, just hit them with a straight vingar soaked sponge or rag. When I think of all the money I have wasted buying facny bathroom cleaners...and all the fumes I have inhaled...well, that just burns my bonnet! And I don't wear a bonnet!
Oh, and bonus tip.....to clean up old stainless steel bathroom fixtures...steel wool. Yep. Plain old steel wool from the hardware store(not the brillo pad soap filled kind). I have not tried any of these, but you can bet I am going to! If you have, or have another homemade cleaner tip, drop a comment.

3 Comments:

  • If you have a Sam's membership, you can get 2 gallons of white vinegar for $3.00 or $4.00. I have to use a lot for the bunnies' litter boxes. It works great to clean out the residue from their pee.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 AM  

  • I will definitely have to try out the vinegar thing! Thanks for the tip!

    By Blogger SavingDiva, at 10:51 AM  

  • Wont the steel wool scratch your stainless steel surface?

    By Blogger Mic Man, at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home