BasenjiMom

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Fanconi Syndrome

We just got back from our visit to the vet, and unfortunately, it did not produce good news. Snoopy's urine tested very high for Glucose, which can be one of two things...diabetes, or Fanconi Syndrome. I pray that is is the lesser and more controllable of the two, diabetes. As soon as he said Fanconi Syndrome....I broke down, I didn't know what it was, and I'm not even sure if I heard everything he said....I had to come home and Google it.
I am so tired of Doctor's offices bringing me bad news. Hope is all I have left.
Fanconi Syndrome is common in Basenjis, and basically it means his kidneys are not absorbing the nutrients and it's all coming out in his urine. Symptoms are excessive drinking, excessive urination, and glucose in the urine - which he has all three. It is treatable, and organ damage is reduced, if it is found early enough.
Fanconi Syndrome is commonly misdiagnosed as diabetes, as if your vet is not up on his Basenji reading, they won't know to test for it. My Vet has taken care of Snoopy since he was a pup, and has learned a lot about Basenji's through treating him.
They took blood to send out for testing, and we should have the results Monday...until then, I wait, and I worry, and I pray. Now, go hug your dog.

6 Comments:

  • Get well Snoopy. We love you.

    By Blogger Mic Man, at 10:53 AM  

  • Snoopy will be okay. The tests will help the doc figure out the next step and all will be well.

    No wonder you are up all night, poor little guy couldn't help it. Thank goodness he woke you up. He could be getting in trouble every night.

    By Blogger Denise Mall, at 12:04 PM  

  • Thanks gys, appreciate your kind thought.

    By Blogger Cheryl, at 1:28 PM  

  • Aww, Cheryl - I'm sorry about Snoopy. I'm glad it's treatable - hopefully he'll get the meds and be back to his old self soon.

    By Blogger Amy, at 4:54 PM  

  • I will hug my bunnies. Keep up posted, hon. We'll be thinking of you guys.

    By Blogger The Ferryman, at 8:57 PM  

  • Thanks everyone, I'll have an update on Monday when we hear from the Doc. (fingers & toes crossed)

    By Blogger Cheryl, at 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home