BasenjiMom

Friday, August 10, 2007

Save a Lot

Have you ever been to Sav a Lot grocery store? It's a smaller store, warehouse type - everything is in the boxes on the shelves, no bags - just put your purchases into the empty boxes at the front of the store. (It's kind of like an Aldi, only we don't have Aldi down here.) They save money that way, no extra expense on bags, baggers to bag your stuff- and they say they pass that savings on to customers and you can save up to 40% shopping there. Sav A Lot is owned by Supervalu Inc, the same parent company that owns Albertson's and Jewel Osco.
I used to think it was the poor mans grocery, and made jokes because they sell things like "Bubba Cola", and "Dr Pop". They built a new one over here by my office, so I checked it out on my lunch break this week. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. They do carry a lot of their own brands, but we all know that most store/generic brands are made by the name brands anyway and sold uner a private label. And ,they have some name brand stuff also.
Canned veggies? 35 cents! THIRTY-FIVE CENTS PEOPLE!
Cereal? $1.29 a box! It's there own brand, with names like "Oatie O's", and "Fruitie Loos" (not exact, I made those up!) - but their cereal is made by General Mills - you've heard of them, right?
Boxed Pasta? 50 Cents!
Saltine Crackers? 83 cents!
They have a full section of frozen foods, including Totino's Crispy Crust Pizza (my favorite!) and their own line of ice cream novelties!
As I passed the snack cakes, I noticed a fine box of Choco-Rounds (their version of a Hostess Ding Dong)- Hey, $1.79 for a box of 8, I was trying them! HUGE thumbs up from the chocolate lover in me!
I think I can save a lot (no pun intented) of money shopping there, even if it's just for staples. (I'm leary of strange meat& produce depts)
If you have one nearby, don't be afraid to stop in a check it out, you may be pleasantly surprised!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home