BasenjiMom

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hurricane Warning?

OK, so maybe not...but either way, I am not evacuating without my pooch! The shelters around here are not "pet friendly"...and I can understand that, who wants to hunker down in a high school gym, with a bunch of nervous sweaty strangers, AND their animals? There are places you can take your pets, pet-friendly hotels and some animal shelters will take them..but there is also a certain amount of risk involved with leaving your pet there. As for me and my boy...we have hunkered down for every storm at our house. Luckily he does not freak out during storms...nor do I, after 32 years in Florida, I have only evacuated once (Hurricane Elena -late 80's), and only then because I was young, out on my own for the first time, and it was my first "official" hurricane. If there were a major storm headed right at us, I would evacuate...to a friend or family member's home, someone who was not in the storms path, ....and I only if I knew I could bring my dog with me. Mama's not going anywhere without her boy!

1 Comments:

  • No surprise, I'm with you. Just heard there is a pet hotel on Belcher in Dunedin (several people I know have used them and were very satisfied) that will now take pets in during an evacuation. I think there's much more awareness since Katrina of the need of many more facilities everywhere.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home