BasenjiMom

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Solar Decathalon

You all know what a green girl I am, I have talked about it here many times...I reduce, reuse, and recycle as much as I can. One thing I cannot do, and wish I could, is put some solar power in my house. Because I live in a condo, I am restricted as to what I can do with my windows and such..and even what I can do on the inside to a certain extent. Solar powered housing is the latest thing, I hear about it on the news and in the paper lately a lot, maybe I am only noticing it because it seems that "green" is the new "black"...it's the cool thing to do!
So, now I hear about the BP Solar Decathlon, which is a joint event with the US Dept of Energy - they gather teams from Universities around the world to design, build and operate livable, every-efficient, and completely solar-powered houses! It's a week long competition, and this year it is being held on the National Mall in Washington DC - maybe our President will take notice? It starts tomorrow, and lasts until Oct 19th - one week to build the environmentally friendly house of Al Gore's dreams! BP is committed to discovering cost effective, clean energy solutions for everyday living, abd being a main sponsor for this event is a sign of their commitment. You can follow the progress of the event at the blog, where the teams will be posting progress, you may get some new ideas for your own home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home