BasenjiMom

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

ALPHA BITS!!

I am a cereal hound. I love cereal, always have 4-5 boxes in the pantry. I can spend 15 minutes in the cereal aisle of my grocery trying to decide what I want in my pantry.
I grew up in the 70's on your classic sugar coated cereals...Super SUGAR Crisp (now called Golden Crisp), SUGAR Pops (now called Pops), SUGAR Smacks (Now just Smacks)...you see, back in our day, we didn't have to worry about eating all that sugar, because we went outside and PLAYED all day! None of this sitting around on the couch, or hanging in our room...in our day, that was PUNISHMENT. As I've grown older, my favorite cereals have evolved, and not into something good. Franken Berry does not taste the same as it did when I was 12, and it does not have the familiar white sugar coating on it. In our day you could SEE the sugar on your cereal, and it was okay. Trix? yeah, they used to be these wonderful little balls with the white sugar coating, and they came in 3 colors, red, orange and yellow. Then, they changed them into fruit shapes, and added all these different colors...and they just weren't right. I know, they are "new & improved" round little balls again, but they still are not right. And, my all time favorite sugar cereal? Alpha Bits. Crunchy little letters of corn and oat, coated in sugar. The absolute best. Cereal, shaped like letters....we were not only eating, we were LEARNING! They're A-B-C-Dee-licious! With the exception of adding marshmallows back in the late 80's, Post never changed them. (I didn't care for the marshmallow version, big Sister loved them) Always the same crunchy, sweet alphabetty goodness to take me back to my childhood in each spoonful.
And then, a few years ago..the unthinkable. THEY TOOK THE FREAKING SUGAR OUT OF MY BELOVED ALPHA BITS! They made them..dare I say, HEALTHY?! I tried to eat them. They were not good, they were.....AWFUL BITS!!! I called Post, I wrote letters. Nothing. NO more sugar. Gone were my beloved sugar coated letters of corn & oat goodness. No more memories of my childhood in each bite.
I think that didn't go over well, because then, all of a sudden, I didn't even see the "new & improved" non-sugar version in my cereal aisle.
So, imagine my surprise today, when browsing my local Target, I find a shelf full of that familiar blue box.......! I had to do a double take, I thought I was dreaming..I picked up the beautiful box, and it was real...they were Post Alpha Bits...SWEETENED Corn & Oat Cereal!!! OH HAPPY DAY!!
Why does the box say Limited Edition on it?
I took them home, and after calling big Sister to brag of my find, (to which I was berated for not buying the entire shelf) I ate these beloved bits in a bowl with milk, savored every bite...and, once again, they took me back!


Side note: I have no idea why they are Limited Edition, I scoured the internet for answers, and came up empty.......but I am going back and buying more! I am also calling Post and begging them to leave my cereal alone!

1 Comments:

  • The little girl at the beginning of the commercial seems so angry. She's YELLING at the kids to spell things. LOL! And why does their playground have a slide for a pool?

    By Blogger Colleen, at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home